For this month’s OWLS topic, we will be talking about “Mentors.”
Throughout our lives, we might have encountered someone that we admired as a role model or has guided us in some life dilemma. This mentor could be a teacher at school, a coach, a boss or team leader at work, or a family friend. Whoever it is that person impacted your life in a positive manner. For this month’s OWLS topic, we will be writing about mentors or mentorships in anime and other pop culture media. Some topics we will be exploring include how a mentorship impacted a main character’s life, the types of mentor relationships a person could have, and/or personal stories about mentors or mentorships.
In the last OWLS post, Rai wrote about mentorship in Comic Girls. For my post, I will be exploring mentorship in Assassination Classroom by looking at some characteristics that make Koro-sensei, a great teacher.
As a teacher, Koro-sensei does more than just teach students about certain subjects. Teachers, in general, fulfill and perform various tasks that go beyond the classroom. Teachers mentor students and help them grow as good people.
1. Koro-sensei focuses on students’ individual needs. As a teacher, you have to prioritize what you need to teach your students as a whole, which means that some students might get left behind. Although teachers may not want to do that, they sometimes have to. However, Koro-sensei tries his best to give each student the attention they need to succeed.
2. Koro-sensei inspires the uninspired. The main protagonist, Nagisa Shiota, had no dreams or aspirations. He came from a broken home. It isn’t until he sees a “parental figure” in Koro-sensei that he soon aspires to be just like him, a teacher that cares for and educates delinquent students like him.
3. Koro-sensei devotes his time to his students. Okay, he might go on these weird five-minute vacations all over the world, but when he is in the classroom, he makes sure that his time and attention is on them.
4. Koro-sensei advises each of his students. Whenever they have a problem or issue, Koro-sensei gives them good advice that would help them make the right decision.
5. Koro-sensei genuinely cares for his students. A teacher’s main job is to educate their students on subjects like math, science, and history. This is what society assumes to be the only role of a teacher. However, what others don’t know is that a teacher’s role goes beyond what’s being told and taught in the classroom. Teachers fulfill multiple roles to a student such as an advocator, a mentor, a facilitator, and even a gatekeeper.
A good teacher is one that mentors their students in life trials and struggles that they encounter. As for me, my sister who is a teacher is the biggest mentor in my life. She doesn’t just help me, but she also gives life advice to my friends and her students and I’m happy that she does that because we need more people like her. 🙂
For the next OWLS post, check out Dale’s post.
Just Something About LynLyn is a member of the WordAds Program. I permitted ads to run on my blog so that I can get paid by cost per impression (CPI). So I would really appreciate it if you turned off your Adblocker on this website so that I can earn some money. With the earnings I make, I will use the funds to create better content for you all, and you will also help feed a poor graduate student.