Advertisements
you're reading...
OWLS Topics

OWLS: Amamizukan, The Sanctuary in Princess Jellyfish

Welcome to my second OWLS post. This month’s topic is “Sanctuary.”

A sanctuary is a place of safety and stability. In anime, there are several different places and environments that characters call “home.” For this topic, we will be discussing various locations and settings within certain anime series.

On March 18th, Stephanie Clarke from Anime Girls NYC discussed Watamote for the “Sanctuary” topic. For my “Sanctuary” post, I am going to talk about the apartment complex, Amamizukan, in Akiko Higashimura’s Princess Jellyfish (Kuragehime).

The Functions Of Amamizukan

Amamizukan is the name of the apartment complex that the main protagonist, Tsukimi Kurashita, resides in. In the first episode, we learn that Tsukimi moved to Tokyo in hopes of becoming an illustrator. However, when she came to the city, she realized that she doesn’t fit in with all the stylish, hipster young city people. Yet Tsukimi finds her place while living with a bunch of female otakus at the Amamizukan. These female tenants call themselves,  “Amars” (nuns) because none of them have boyfriends or significant others.

© Brain’s Base

Amamizukan is a safe haven for antisocial individuals, particularly NEETs and fujoshis. While living there, the female tenants can be themselves without being judged. For example, Mayaya is an eccentric woman who is a super fan of  Records of Three Kingdoms and constantly references it in her daily life. While in the apartment, all the characters are able to share their passions with each other but when it comes to meeting people outside of Amamizukan, they turn into stone because they are unable to interact with such”beautiful people.”

© Brain’s Base

© Brain’s Base

Amamizukan is also a “No Boys Allowed” place. Amamizukan has strict rules as to who is allowed to live there. The first rule is that the tenant cannot be a man even if they are homosexual. Although one could argue that not all men are evil, I think the reason as to why the female characters do not want to live with men is that they are purely uncomfortable and also it may be considered a taboo to be living with unmarried men. In addition to the “No Boys Allowed” rule, you are only invited to live in Amamizukan if someone can vouch for you. Tsukimi was fortunate enough to befriend the current tenants on the internet and was able to get invited to stay at the apartment. One could argue that the Amamizukan marginalizes the rest of society by not allowing everyone to have the opportunity to live there. However, I see Amamizukan as a much needed safe place because it’s an apartment made for women who couldn’t fit into the expectations of society and men.  I kind of see Amamizukan as a sanctuary for fun-loving women that can be whoever they want to be without being judged.

A Sanctuary Is More Than A House

In addition, Amamizukan is just like any other apartment complex. There’s nothing unique about it. However, the beauty of Amamizukan does not come from the apartment structure but the individuals occupying it. Home isn’t a building, but instead, it’s the people you choose to spend your time with. The occupants of Amamizukan are a family. They do a variety of activities together such as the weekly hot pot dinner and also making it a group effort to raise funds to buy the Amamizukan property. So in other words, what makes Amamizukan special are the people that live there. They are complete strangers but they act as a true family.

© Brain’s Base

Lastly, in the anime, the Amamizukan property is in danger of being sold as part of an urban renewal project to make the property into a hotel. Upon hearing the news, the female tenants band together and try to find a financial solution with the help of Kuranosuke Koibuchi, the confident and fashionable crossdresser. The fact that the tenants would do anything to live in Amamizukan demonstrates how individuals protect the community and home that they created for themselves. The Amamizukan is a symbol of home for Tsukimi and her fellow tenants, but the true sanctuary is the close bond among the female tenants.

My Personal “Sanctuary”

I think a sanctuary is a place where an individual doesn’t feel threaten to act according to social norms and is able to express themselves comfortably regardless of what others think. A sanctuary doesn’t necessarily have to be an actual place, but it has to allow stability and safety for the individual. For me, my sanctuary is when I’m hanging out with my friends because when I’m with them, I can complain about my stress, but we also have fun and forget about our issues by going to delicious restaurants and singing at karaoke places.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my “Sanctuary” post on the apartment complex, Amamizukan, in Princess Jellyfish. Next up in our blog tour is Venus from Japanime Talks with her focus on Hunter x Hunter.

Advertisements

About lynlynsays

A blogger that rambles on about various somethings, and trying to find her place in the world.

Discussion

32 thoughts on “OWLS: Amamizukan, The Sanctuary in Princess Jellyfish

1. We really see how much this place means to them when they go out and how uncomfortable they are in from of “normies”. Really is a sanctuary for them. Great post!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Krystallina | March 20, 2017, 6:28 PM
  2. Interesting post. A friend of mine tells me I need to see this show.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Matthew | March 20, 2017, 7:25 PM
  3. Haven’t heard of this anime yet, Lyn-sama. But reading its background, it seems interesting! And nice choice of anime for our Sanctuary tour! Cheers!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Ma. Venus Gamboa | March 20, 2017, 10:26 PM
  4. Haven’t seen the show but Amamizukan sounds like a perfect fit for March’s theme. Sometimes we just need a place or a circle of friends where we can be ourselves without being judged, after all.

Lovely post!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Remy Fool | March 22, 2017, 7:44 AM
  5. Great post as always, Lyn-sama. I haven’t watched Princess Jellyfish yet, but it’s been on my to-watch list. Will get to it one of these days. This anime sounds intriguing and funny. I like how you said that a sanctuary is more than a house. You can get the best and the most luxurious house in the world, but it you’re living there alone with no one to enjoy the place with, it won’t really feel like home. Cheers!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Arria Cross | March 31, 2017, 7:07 PM
  6. I’ve never watched this show but I really like the sound of the premise. I agree that sometimes we need places that are safe that we can feel 100% comfortable in. I almost wonder if anyone can really branch out and go outside their comfort zone if they don’t feel like they have their own sanctuary (in one way or another) that they can fall back on.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by katrinasade | March 31, 2017, 10:49 PM
  7. Great post Lyn-sama!! I loved how you looked at Sanctuary in the physical aspect (Amamizukan), but also as the kinship between the residents of the apartment complex. Fantastic post!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by pokeninja90 | April 2, 2017, 1:30 PM
  8. Great job on this. Your point about people also being a sanctuary is very true. You can even see this demonstrated on the first hotpot night that Kuranoske drops in on. Despite being inside of their sanctuary, the residents of Amamizukan are frozen into statues in the presence of the fashionista invading their home. She is not part of the group that is their sanctuary, and thus the women feel uncomfortable and unable to cope.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Carla Vangrove | May 2, 2017, 1:01 PM
  9. Princess Jellyfish does a fantastic job at using crossdressing and the fullest definition of otaku in single series.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by washougalotaku | May 9, 2017, 2:10 PM

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: OWLS Post: A Home Away from Home – What Sanctuary Meant for a Zoldyck | JAPANime Talks - March 20, 2017

2. Pingback: WHEN YOUR DREAMS DISSOLVE INTO A BARREN WASTELAND [OWLS BLOG TOUR] – ARCHI-ANIME - March 24, 2017

3. Pingback: Last Week Today: Week End Recap- Mar. 19th to Mar. 25th | Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - March 26, 2017

4. Pingback: Mel’s Round-Up Week 26 – Mel in Anime Land - March 26, 2017

5. Pingback: 2 Months In and We’re Still Going STRONG | My Fujoshi Life - March 31, 2017

6. Pingback: “Sanctuary” Blog Tour Round-Up – OWLS: Otaku Warriors for Liberty and Self-Respect - March 31, 2017

7. Pingback: SANCTUARY – OWLS MARCH BLOG TOUR WRAP-UP | Anime Girls NYC - April 5, 2017

8. Pingback: OWLS March “Sanctuary” Wrap Up – LitaKinoAnimeCorner - April 5, 2017

9. Pingback: A great read about Otaku-dom and its portrayal in animeOWLS: Amamizukan, The Sanctuary in Princess Jellyfish | Washougal Otaku's Area for Anime-themed Discussions! - May 9, 2017

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisements

OWLS: Blog Tour

3Syq_IlC

If you would like to join OWLS, click here.

Awesome People

Creative Work License

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

All the words on blog posts and pages are written by Just Something About LynLyn, unless otherwise stated.

Just Something About LynLyn does NOT own the videos, soundtracks, and images in this website, unless otherwise stated. All videos, soundtracks, and images are credited to their respective owners or websites. If you see an image, video, or soundtrack that is yours and would like for it to be taken down, please notify me, and I'll have it taken down immediately.

Disclosure Policy

Just Something About LynLyn is a member of the WordAds Program. I permitted ads to run on my blog so that I can get paid by cost per impression (CPI). So I would really appreciate it if you turned off your Ad blocker for this website so that I can earn some money. With the earnings I make, I will use the funds to create better content for you all, and you will also help feed a poor graduate student.

%d bloggers like this: